It is important that the two of you discuss these initial questions so that you have an understanding of what each of you wants in the ceremony.
- What do you want to communicate through the ceremony both to each other and to your guests?
- What type of ceremony are you envisioning (traditional, “different”, civil)?
- Are there certain things that HAVE to be included?
- How long do you want the ceremony to be?
- Is there special music you want to include?
- Are there people you want to include in some way?
- Do you want readings of any kind during the ceremony?
- What is the setting for the ceremony?
Talking about these things will help you to know what you are looking for when you begin researching content for your ceremony, and also help you to recognize what things are and are not representative of you as a couple: some people love Unity Ceremonies, others do not.